Woman working in Alton building claims she was exposed to carbon monoxide

A woman has filed a lawsuit claiming she was exposed to carbon monoxide because of a building owner’s negligence in maintaining the heating system.

Plaintiff Anissa Womack filed the lawsuit in the Madison County Circuit Court against Illinois Unnerstall, LLC and Get “R” washed, LLC, citing negligence.

According to the lawsuit, Womack was an employee of Acceptance Insurance and worked at the company’s office located in an Alton building. The lawsuit states that the building was owned by Mark Unnerstall, manager of Unnerstall, LLC and that Acceptance Insurance was a tenant of Unnerstall. Unnerstall also owned and managed Get “R” washed, LLC

The lawsuit states that, as owner of the building, Unerstall had a responsibility to maintain the building in order to protect the safety of its tenants. Despite this, Womack claims that while she was working in the building on Aug. 30, 2021, she was exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Womack claims the defendants negligently failed to inspect the building’s heating system when they acquired it, failed to repair leaks and eliminate clogs in the building’s heating system, and failed to ensure that the building’s heating system was operating in an efficient manner.

Womack states that she became sick and experienced bodily injuries due to the defendants’ negligence. She claims she experienced pain, suffering, mental anguish, and lost wages, and that her injuries will impact her ability to earn income and enjoy normal life. She adds that she has incurred medical expenses and will continue to require the services of medical staff to recover.

The plaintiff is seeking damages in excess of $50,000, plus court costs and any other relief the court deems proper.

This article was first published in Madison Record.

Leave a Reply