Man claims e-cigarette batteries exploded in his pocket, caused severe burns

A man is suing Better Vapes after the batteries for his e-cigarette device allegedly exploded in his pocket, severely burning him.

Plaintiff Justin Rains filed the lawsuit in the St. Clair County Circuit Court against Better Vapes, LLC and Steve Schieferle, citing negligence and product liability.

According to the lawsuit, in May 2022, Rains purchased a charger for his electronic cigarette device, which included li-ion batteries. On June 16, 2022, the plaintiff had three batteries in his pocket, including one of the li-ion batteries that he purchased from the defendant. The batteries allegedly suddenly and without warning exploded in his pocket, causing flames to shoot throughout his right leg, calf, and fingers.

Rains alleges the defendant had actual knowledge that the batteries had a tendency to explode when it sold the product to the plaintiff.

Rains claims that as a result of the defendants’ negligence, he has sustained severe and permanent injuries that have caused him to experience pain, suffering and mental anguish. He alleges the injuries have impacted his ability to enjoy a normal life and earn income in the future. He adds that he has incurred medical costs and will continue to require medical care to recover from his injuries.

The plaintiff is seeking damages in excess of $50,000, plus court costs, interest and any other relief the court deems proper.

This article was first published in Madison Record.

Leave a Reply