Glen Carbon homeowners allege improperly installed oven caused home to catch fire

A Glen Carbon couple claims that a negligent oven installation by Lowe’s employees caused their home to catch on fire.

Plaintiffs James and Cynthia Dorris filed the lawsuit in the Madison County Circuit Court against defendant Lowe’s Companies, Inc., citing negligence and breach of contract.

According to the lawsuit, the plaintiffs entered into a contract with Lowe’s to install an oven in their Glen Carbon home. The plaintiffs allege that on Sept. 30, 2020, Lowe’s employees installed the oven. However, they claim the appliance was improperly installed. Specifically, they claim the electrical connections were not correctly installed in an electrical supply junction box, leaving the connections in an unsafe state.

As a result of the improper installation, the oven caught on fire on April 4, 2021 and caused more than $250,000 in damages to the plaintiffs’ home and property, the suit states.

The plaintiffs are seeking damages in excess of $250,000, plus court costs and any other relief the court deems proper.

This article was first published in Madison Record.

Leave a Reply